Classic Chinese cuisine that is popular in Malaysia called Hainanese Chicken Chop. The taste of sweet and sour sauce enhance with sides of veggies and potato. The key element that gives the Hainanese Chicken Chop flavor is the brown gravy that is really easy to make. Let’s try cooking it by following the recipe.
Prep Time: 30mins l Cook Time: 30mins l Serving: 3 people
- 5 tbsp Brown Stock Powder (any brand would do - brown stock, brown sauce powder, etc)
- 2 pcs Tomato
- 200 g Potato
- 2 pcs Onion (red)
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 pcs Bay Leaf (optional)
- 1 liters Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp Sugar (to taste)
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 pcs Boneless Chicken Leg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 nos Egg
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Pre-Mix Fry Chicken Powder (to coat chicken - any brands would do)
- Cooking Oil (to deep fry)
- Clean and cut potato, tomato, and onion.
- Preheat stockpot with cooking oil.
- Add sliced red onion and fry to aromatic.
- Add water.
- Add brown stock powder and dissolve it with a whisk or spatula.
- Add chopped tomato, potato, green peas, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season gravy with salt and sugar.
- Set aside the gravy.
- With a mixing bowl, add salt, sugar, water, cooking oil, and egg. Mix together to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Add boneless chicken into the marinade and marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Put a generous amount of pre-mix fry chicken powder into a tray.
- Bring the marinated chicken into the tray and coat marinated chicken with pre-mix fry chicken powder to a dry coating.
- To deep-fry chicken, preheat cooking oil to high heat.
- Put the coated chicken into the oil with the skin side down.
- Once the outer layer of the chicken begins to crisp, lower the heat to medium-low.
- Fry to 8 minutes.
- Check doneness of the chicken by poking through it. As long it goes through smoothly and there is no blood flowing out, then it is cooked through.
- Place a generous amount of vegetables from the gravy on the side of the plate.
- Gently place the fried chicken on the center of the plate, slightly slanted over the vegetables.
- Pour a generous amount of brown gravy over the chicken and serve.
Every taste of it compliments the dish! Grab the ingredients from our website and enjoy cooking!!
Recipe inspired by https://www.3thanwong.com/hainanese-chicken-chop-recipe/