This is the classical method of cooking steak and the best way to learn how you like your steak cooked. You can control the heat and adjust if the steak is coloring too quickly, and understand what the steak should feel like at its different stages of doneness. Unlike leaner steaks such as fillet, which can be served very rare, it’s best to cook rib-eye to at least medium-rare, as this gives the fat enough time to render down and flavor the meat.
- Remove the steak from the fridge at least half an hour before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. This is an important step to ensure a consistent cook throughout the steak.
- When ready to cook, season the steak generously. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper on both sides from a height to get even coverage.
- Get your frying pan smoking hot. If you are cooking 2 steaks, make sure your pan is large enough to fit the steaks in with plenty of room– if not, use 2 pans and heat both up simultaneously. Add the steak to the pan and cook on medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes on each side (depending on thickness and how well-done you like your steak). As a very rough guide, a 3cm-thick steak should be cooked medium-rare after 5 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should be 50°C for rare, 60°C for medium, and 70°C for well-done.
- After flipping the steak for the first time, add the butter with the thyme and garlic and baste for a minute. To do this, tilt the pan towards you so the butter pools at the bottom of the pan, then spoon the butter back over the steak repeatedly.
- Remove the steak from the pan and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Don’t be tempted to skip this step as it is an important one – during the cooking process the particles in the meat tighten up, so if you slice into it straight after cooking all the juices will flood out onto the board. Resting time allows the particles to relax and reabsorb their liquids, meaning you don’t lose any of those delicious juices when carving.
- Slice the steak across the grain, season, and serve up with your choice of sides and sauce.
- Ready to be served!
Look at the beautiful marble and the freshest meat that you can easily get at www.sejadi.com. Shop now to get fresh groceries delivered to you!